Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cool techniques for wire-wrapping rings

After last night's success with wire-wrapping rings, I popped on over to Etsy this morning to see what's out there. There are a TON of inexpensive, simple rings (like mine), but there's some amazingly intricate artists, too. (Apologies in advance if I don't use correct terminology or if I describe things in a simple manner. I don't know much about these techniques, and it's early, and I haven't had my tea yet.)


This citrine ring from The Naked Parrot is so cool! It hadn't occured to me to make prongs out of the wire (although it makes perfect sense now that I think about it). The color choices here are fantastic.


This rose quartz and moonstone ring by cheli387 caught my eye. In addition to all the swirls and weaving, I really like how the moonstones are incorporated into the setting of the rose quartz.


I didn't know wire-wrapped rings could be fine jewelry like this Rivoli crystal ring from RutyDesigns. Some of the simpler wire-wrapped rings make you notice the wire wrapping first, and the stone second. This ring showcases the stone, and THEN you notice how amazing the wire wrapping is. This must have taken ages.



This Floating Pearl ring from KathyFrey is so incredibly unique, I had to call it out. The pearl rolls around freely within its cage. The structure of this ring is so interesting. I just know that if I wore it, I'd be tilting my hand all day to watch the pearl roll. I wonder how the pearl holds up over time, though?

This sculture ring from FrecklePatchDesign blew me away. Each ring is one-of-a-kind, and she uses different wire gauges to achieve this unique look. Now, I really want to try different wire gauges in my own rings to see what I can do (nothing as amazing as this, I'm sure, but I'm inspired!).
There's so many more I could prattle on about, but these were some of my favorites. I can't wait to get home and see what I can make tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment